Saturday, January 15, 2011

Inspiration

I love sewing, but I'm just a novice. In an attempt to learn how to sew better, I am taking on the fun and slightly daunting task of sewing 101 unique sewing projects in a matter of 1,001 days. My mother has been gracious enough to allow me to borrow her sewing machine, as I do not currently own one myself. Thanks Mama! :)


So let's set up some ground rules:

  • When I say 101 unique sewing projects, that means no repeats! For example, if I make a bag I love and decide I'd like to repeat it in another fabric, the second bag does not count as one of my 101 projects.
  • One of my major goals is to show how to make really great projects on a tight budget. I am a full-time student, as is my husband, so extra money is a rarity. Bargain-hunting will be my new profession! To save some cash, I will avoid buying patterns and fabric at full-price and will always attempt to use either fabric I already have, something on mega sale, or even maybe find some used items at a thrift store to tear apart and put back together.
  • I will take pictures as I go to do my best to document how I put each project together. I'm not a professional photographer, so I will do my best to take quality photos.
  • Part of learning is to continue to push oneself to learn more. As I go, I will try to take on more difficult projects, with the end goal of creating my very own pattern of some sort, whether it be clothing, a bag, a baby carrier, etc.
  • And lastly, I want to have fun doing this!
Each day I post a new project, I will keep track of what # project it is, how many days left I have, and how much the project cost.

So make sure to follow my blog and follow along with my tracker on the side as I count down the days, projects, and how much I've spent overall.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it! I'm excited to see all of your creations :) I want to bring my sewing machine back to Oregon with me when I go to CA next week...hopefully I will remember how to use it :/ Good luck on the projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! What a fun idea. Can't wait to see everything you make:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your idea! i'm doing a similar thing on my blog (sewbynightdesigns.blogspot.com) maybe i'll even get some ideas for projects from yours! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I'm really excited about all of it, and plan to open an Etsy shop with my friend as well... Should be great fun!!

    ReplyDelete